Assisted Living in Salisbury, North Carolina
Salisbury is a small city in the Piedmont region of North Carolina located about halfway between Winston-Salem and Charlotte. The city has a population of 33,988, of which 18.3% are aged 65 or older. Salisbury is a pleasant place to retire for seniors who care about the weather, with comfortable winters and pleasant summers. Its location amid a much larger metropolitan area of over 2 million means there’s lots to do. Seniors who love railroads can visit the North Carolina Museum of Transportation, while those who prefer nature can visit nearby Boone’s Cave Park.
Twenty-one assisted living facilities serve Salisbury, with 13 within the city and eight nearby. According to the Genworth Cost of Care Survey 2020, the cost of residing in one of these facilities averages $4,500 a month. That’s $200 a month more than the national average of $4,300. Since North Carolina does not tax
The SeniorScore for Salisbury, North Carolina
The SeniorScore is a rating for seniors that gives them an idea about what it’s like to live in a community. It’s based on 100 data points taken from a variety of government and private databases. It has four categories: Health & Safety, Recreation & Leisure, Finances and General Quality of Life. Salisbury scores an overall 70, which is two points lower than the North Carolina and national averages of 72. Salisbury's best scores were a 65 in General Quality of Life and a 64 in Finances.
The General Quality of Life score was based on several factors, including the city’s pleasant weather although the city’s higher than average rainfall probably brought the mark down a bit. The short daily commute and its sparse population added to its livability index. On the downside the city has a very poor air and water quality.
Finances also scored well. Property taxes are significantly lower than national averages and the state has a flat income tax of 5.25%. Salisbury has a lower cost of living than the national average. Combined with the lack of taxes on Social Security income and lower costs of nursing homes, adult day care, home care and assisted living, these factors make Salisbury an attractive destination for seniors.
Salisbury’s lowest score came in Health & Safety with a 60. While there are a high number of Medicare-registered physicians working in Salisbury, there are only two hospitals within close range. Salisbury also has a very high property crime rate and violent crime rate.
SeniorScore™ for Salisbury, North Carolina
The SeniorScore™ is calculated based on over 100 variables, some of which are shown below. The final score is curved based on a linear curving method. For More info visit senioradvice.com/seniorscore.
- Salisbury scores lower than the North Carolina average of 72.
- Salisbury scores lower than the national average of 72.
- There is a high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 2 hospitals within close range of the city (W.g. (bill) Hefner Salisbury Va Medical Center (sa and Rowan Regional Medical Center).
- There are 26 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Brightmoor Nursing Center, Brightmoor Nursing Center, and Tara D White.
- There is a high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a very high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 77.8, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 91 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a very high property crime rate.
- The area has a high violent crime rate.
- The city has an average percentage of seniors in the population (27% of residents).
- There are 44 golf courses in or around the city, including Corbin Hills Golf Course, McCanless Golf Club, and Country Club Of Salisbury.
- There are 6 parks near the city center, including Salisbury Community Park, Cross Winds Family Campground, and Dan Nicholas Park.
- There are 84 churches in or near the city, including Cornerstone Church, New Testament Word of Faith, and Gospel Light Baptist Church.
- There are 2 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 52 grocery stores within the city.
- There is 1 movie theatre in or near the city.
- There are 2 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 1.81% of total income, which is significantly lower than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 0.76% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 7.25%, which is higher than the national average of 6.97%.
- North Carolina has an average state income tax of 4.89%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $54,817, which is significantly lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $41,657, which is significantly lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $21,101, which is significantly lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $36,000 per year, which are low compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $86,870 per year, which are average compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $14,170 per year, which are very low compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $41,321 annually, which are low compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 9.59%, which is high compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very low compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
- Salisbury receives high levels of rainfall each year.
- Salisbury has mild mean temperatures, with comfortable winters and warm summers.
- This city has very poor air quality.
- This city has very poor water quality.
- Salisbury has a sparse population density of 473.4 people per square mile.
- Residents of Salisbury have a short daily commute time.
- The city has an average public transportation ridership.
- Salisbury has an average public school quality ranking.
- The city has a very high public school safety rating.
- This city has a low graduation rate of 81.01%.
Assisted Living Costs in Salisbury, North Carolina
Assisted living in Salisbury is about $200 more per month than the national average. The cost of assisted living in Salisbury is $4,500 a month (a cost it shares with the Winston-Salem area), while the national average monthly cost is $4,300 a month. Salisbury’s assisted living costs, however, are several hundred dollars higher than the North Carolina state average of $3,800.
Within the state, Salisbury tends towards the middle of what it costs for assisted living in North Carolina. Costs are lowest in Asheville, located in the western part of the state, with a monthly average of $2,750. It’s also less expensive in cities toward the middle of the state, such as New Bern at $3,400 and Fayetteville, which is a hundred dollars more a month at $3,500. Greensboro, which is close to the border with Virginia but a relatively short distance from Winston-Salem, is only $9 a month more than Salisbury at $4,509, while Charlotte, located on the border with South Carolina, is $4,649. Raleigh, the state capital, is $300 a month more expensive at $4,800. Wilmington, on the coast, is the most expensive area for assisted living in North Carolina at $5,877 a month.
- Asheville: $2,750
- New Bern: $3,400
- Fayetteville: $3,500
- Salisbury: $4,500
- Greensboro: $4,509
- Charlotte: $4,649
- Raleigh: $4,800
- Wilmington: $5,877
Top Assisted Living Facilities in Salisbury, North Carolina
Salisbury Center is a 160 unit senior housing community. It is located at 710 Julian Rd in Salisbury, North Carolina. The encompassing area is densely populated, with approximately 26,000 individuals living in the 28147 zip code. With ...
Autumn Care of Salisbury is located at 1505 Bringle Ferry Rd in Salisbury, North Carolina. It is a 100 room senior housing community. With a median per-household income of $45,567, the facility is in a predominantly middle income ...
The Laurels of Salisbury is a 60 bed senior housing facility. It is located at 215 Lash Dr in Salisbury, North Carolina. The surrounding area is densely populated, with about 26,000 residents in the zip code of 28147. ...
Located at 820 Klumac Rd in Salisbury, North Carolina, Trinity Oaks is a 115 unit senior care facility. With a median family income of $37,070, the community is in a generally middle income area. It has a dense ...
Located at 4412 South Main St in Salisbury, North Carolina, Liberty Commons Nursing and Rehabilitation of Rowan County is a 90 unit nursing care facility. With about 26,000 residents in the zip code of 28147, the surrounding area is ...
Located at 2201 Statesville Blvd in Salisbury, North Carolina, Brookdale Salisbury is a senior care community for those over the age of 55. With a median family income of $46,084, the facility is in a primarily middle class area. ...
Carillon Assisted Living of Salisbury is a senior community located at 1915 Mooresville Rd in Salisbury, North Carolina. With roughly 26,000 individuals residing in the 28147 zip code, the encompassing area is heavily populated. It is a primarily ...
Located at 485 Long Ferry Rd, Mary's Family Care Home is a care home in Salisbury, North Carolina. The facility is in a primarily middle class area, with a median per-household income of $37,070. It is heavily populated, ...
Located at 301 Harrel St, Tara D White is a senior housing community serving Salisbury, North Carolina. The neighboring area is heavily populated, with roughly 26,000 individuals residing in the zip code of 28144. It is a predominantly ...
Heritage Plantation is a senior care facility located at 2809 Old Concord Rd in Salisbury, North Carolina. The facility is in a predominantly middle income area, with an average per-family income of $45,567. With roughly 29,000 individuals residing ...
Located at 309 Laura Springs Dr, RHA Health Services is a nursing facility serving Salisbury, North Carolina. With a median per-family income of $45,567, the facility is in a largely middle income area. It is heavily populated, with ...
Located at 548 White Oaks Dr, Oak Park Retirement is a senior care facility serving Salisbury, North Carolina. The facility is in a generally middle income area, with an average family income of $46,084. It has a dense ...
Located at 2304 S Main St, Lutheran Services For The Aging is a senior housing community serving Salisbury, North Carolina. With approximately 26,000 individuals residing in the zip code of 28147, the neighboring area has a dense population. ...
Located at 612 China Grove Hwy, The Meadows of Rockwell is a senior housing facility serving Rockwell, North Carolina. With a median per-household income of $51,706, the facility is in a mostly middle income area. It has a ...
8 miles away from Salisbury, NC
Located at 1135 Taylor Road, Mountain Valley Living Center is a senior housing facility in Lexington, North Carolina. The community is in a generally middle class area, with a median household income of $46,882. It is densely ...
9 miles away from Salisbury, NC
Located at 3955 Woodleaf Barber Rd in Cleveland, North Carolina, Cujo Family Care is a 4 room senior community. The surrounding area is sparsely populated, with about 7,000 individuals living in the 27013 zip code. It is a ...
10 miles away from Salisbury, NC
Located near the Enochville neighborhood of Kannapolis, North Carolina, Big Elm Rehabilitation & Living Centers is a 50 unit nursing facility. The community is in a generally middle class area, with an average household income of $39,161. It ...
13 miles away from Salisbury, NC
Located nearby the Enochville area of the city, Big Elm Retirement is a senior housing community in Kannapolis, North Carolina. The community is in a predominantly middle income area, with an average family income of $39,161. It is ...
13 miles away from Salisbury, NC
Christy Woods is located at 10100 Mount Olive Rd in Mount Pleasant, North Carolina. It is a 5 unit senior housing community. The neighboring area is sparsely populated, with around 8,000 individuals residing in the zip code of ...
14 miles away from Salisbury, NC
Best of Care Assisted Living is a senior housing facility situated in the Enochville area of Kannapolis, North Carolina. With around 26,000 people residing in the zip code of 28081, the encompassing area is densely populated. It is ...
14 miles away from Salisbury, NC
Lincoln Homes is a senior housing facility located at 206 Lincoln St in Kannapolis, North Carolina. The facility is in a mostly middle income area, with a median per-family income of $41,144. With approximately 25,000 people residing in ...
14 miles away from Salisbury, NC
Free Assisted Living Resources in Salisbury, North Carolina
North Carolina Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
The goal of the state’s Department of Military and Veterans Affairs is to ensure that veterans and their families receive all the benefits and supports to which they are entitled. This includes aid for seniors who may need to reside in an assisted living facility or in a memory care location. There are two locations for senior veterans in Salisbury, including the W. G. (Bill) Hefner VA Medical Center and the North Carolina State Veterans Home.
413 North Salisbury Street, Raleigh, NC 27603
Rufty-Holmes Senior Center
The first senior location in North Carolina to be declared a center of excellence, Rufty-Holmes serves the entire Rowan County area. Aside from fitness facilities for seniors and regular monthly group meetings, the center helps seniors with legal guidance, in-home assistance, transportation, tax preparation and assistance with Medicare options.
1120 Martin Luther King Jr S, Salisbury, NC 2814
North Carolina Division of Aging and Adult Services
The Division of Aging and Adult Services offers many resources and information to seniors in North Carolina including information on the State-County Special Assistance for residents of adult care homes. This program provides a cash supplement to economically challenged seniors to help pay for room and board in adult care facilities, family care homes and group homes. Residential facilities must be willing to accept the state rate for aid to special assistance seniors.
2001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-2000
Centralina Area Agency on Aging (CAAA)
The CAAA serves the Rowan County area, including the city of Salisbury. It offers seniors over the age of 60 a variety of programs that are designed to help them live in the location of their choice. The CAAA also helps seniors find financial assistance that enables them to avoid moving into a long-term care facility. Seniors who can afford to help defray the cost of some of the programs are asked to contribute. Not every county in the Centralina service area offers every program.
9815 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100, Charlotte, NC 28262
North Carolina Long-Term Care Ombudsman
The ombudsman program is composed of the Office Of The State Long-Term Care Ombudsman and 16 regional offices that are housed in different AAA locations. These offices assist seniors who reside in long-term care facilities to resolve grievances with other residents, with their families or with facilities. They support the effort of community advisory boards that deal with adult care home and nursing home facilities to improve the care for all seniors who live in long-term care locations.
9815 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100, Charlotte, NC 28262
Frequently Asked Questions
What does assisted living cost in the state of North Carolina?
The cost of assisted living in North Carolina averages roughly $98 per day, $2,940 monthly, and $35,280 per year. By comparison, the US averages are $117 per day, $3,500 monthly, and $42,000 annually.
What is the cost of assisted living in Salisbury?
The price of assisted living in Salisbury, North Carolina averages between $1,426 and $5,175 per-month, with an average of $3,000 (or approximately $36,000 annually).
What services are included with assisted living?
Many assisted living facilities offer care in both private and shared rooms. They generally offer a variety of services such as social activities, exercise activities, toileting assistance, housekeeping services, and meal preparation.
Does Medicaid pay for assisted living in Salisbury?
These assisted living communities in Salisbury take Medicaid: The Laurels of Salisbury, Five Oaks Manor, Salisbury Center, Autumn Care of Salisbury, and Peak Resources - Gastonia.
Are there many retirees in Salisbury?
While the city itself includes 77,045 residents, the encompassing statistical area has a population of 1,928,326. People who are over the age of 55 compose about 27% of the community.