Assisted Living in Sonora, California
Sonora is a city in Tuolumne County that's known for its historic downtown district and as a convenient location from which to explore the county's many parks, caves and unspoiled countryside. The Dragoon Gulch Trail is particularly popular, offering over 3 miles of trails through woodlands with spectacular views across the county. According to the 2020 Census, 24.8% of Sonora's 5,000 residents are aged 65 and older, a much higher percentage than normal, which suggests the city holds particular appeal for seniors.
Assisted living communities in the city offer an alternative for seniors who can no longer manage some everyday tasks without help. They provide safe and comfortable rooms cleaned regularly by housekeeping staff and nutritious meals freshly prepared by chefs. The communities also organize activities for their residents, so no senior feels isolated. At $3,500 per month, the average fee is significantly more affordable than the state average of $5,000. Sonora's low assisted living costs and peaceful environment make the city a great choice for retirees.
The SeniorScore for Sonora, California
The SeniorScore figure indicates a city's suitability for older residents by calculating the value of 100+ variables in four categories important to daily living. Sonora's SeniorScore of 71 is one point below the national average but equal's California's average. Of the four categories, most points were awarded to General Quality of Life, followed by Recreation & Leisure, Health & Safety and Finances.
The county's senior-friendly climate adds many points to the General Quality of Life category. January doesn't often see precipitation rise above 2.67 inches and temperatures rarely drop below 39.1 degrees, so seniors infrequently experience cold and uncomfortable humidity. Summer provides pleasant temperatures averaging at 78.1 degrees with very little rain, although it can get as hot as 95.4 degrees. As a consequence of Sonora's rural setting, its seniors get to breathe better quality air too. Many churches serve various denominations, including Pentecostal, Lutheran, Episcopal and Baptist congregations. There are five malls and a movie theater, and golfers have 13 courses to choose from.
The city's serene lifestyle probably contributes to the above-average life expectancy of 80.8, while over 10 senior living communities provide quality care and accommodation for many older residents. A very high number of medical professionals in the area are registered to treat seniors with Medicare, many of them practicing in the city's three major medical facilities; Sonora Community Hospital, Sonora Regional Medical Center and Tuolumne ME-WUK Indian Health Center. The average cost of living is high when compared to national averages, but this is typical of California cities as the state has one of the highest average cost of living indexes in the country.
SeniorScore™ for Sonora, California
The SeniorScore™ is calculated based on over 100 variables, some of which are shown below. The final score is curved based on a linear curving method. For More info visit senioradvice.com/seniorscore.
- Sonora scores lower than the California average of 71.
- Sonora scores lower than the national average of 72.
- There is a high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 3 hospitals within close range of the city, including Sonora Regional Medical Center, Sonora Community Hospital, and Tuolumne General Hospital.
- There are 11 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Meadow View Manor, Skyline Place, and Avalon Care Center - Sonora.
- There is a low number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 80.8, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 25 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a very high property crime rate.
- The area has a high violent crime rate.
- The city has a very high percentage of seniors in the population (39% of residents).
- There are 13 golf courses in or around the city, including Phoenix Lake Golf Course, Mountain Springs Golf & Country Club, and Forest Meadows Golf Course.
- There are 11 parks near the city center, including Mother Lode Mobile Estates, Railtown 1897 State Historic, and Marble Quarry RV Park.
- There is 1 church in or near the city (Sierra Bible Church of Murphys).
- There are 5 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 20 grocery stores within the city.
- There is 1 movie theatre in or near the city.
- There are 21 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 3.08% of total income, which is significantly higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 0.53% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 8.75%, which is significantly higher than the national average of 6.97%.
- California has an average state income tax of 3.79%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $64,874, which is higher than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $47,366, which is lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $27,988, which is higher than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $44,550 per year, which are high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $94,900 per year, which are high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $20,020 per year, which are high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $51,480 annually, which are very high compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 12.57%, which is high compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very high compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
- Sonora receives low levels of rainfall each year.
- Sonora has mild mean temperatures, with average winters and warm summers.
- This city has very poor air quality.
- Sonora has a sparse population density of 259.8 people per square mile.
- Residents of Sonora have an average daily commute time.
- Sonora has a very low public school quality ranking.
- The city has a very low public school safety rating.
- This city has a high graduation rate of 90.51%.
Assisted Living Costs in Sonora, California
Sonora is only 70 minutes from Stockton, so the 2020 Genworth Cost of Care Survey merges the assisted living costs of both cities, resulting in an average fee of $3,500 per month. This is much more affordable than the state average of $5,000. It's also lower than the national average of $4,300, making Sonora one of the few Californian cities that bucks the trend and is actually less costly than the U.S. average.
At $3,500 per month, Sonora's average assisted living fees are far below others in this part of California. Modesto is the only city that even comes close, with fees averaging at around $4,000. In Vallejo, seniors can expect to pay $4,500, while in Sacramento, they'll need to find another $895 on top of that to reside in the state's capital. Cities nearer the coast appear to be more costly, on average, such as San Francisco, where $6,100 is the typical fee for an assisted living placement and Santa Cruz, where it's $6,800. Somewhat inland, San Jose averages fees a little lower, at $5,875. Napa is another city in the $6,000+ range, with fees of $6,250 being typical for California's wine-growing heartland.
- Sonora: $3,500
- Vallejo: $4,500
- Sacramento: $5,395
- Napa: $6,250
- San Francisco: $6,100
- Santa Cruz: $6,800
- San Jose: $5,875
- Modesto: $4,000
Top Assisted Living Facilities in Sonora, California
Located at 19929 Greenley Rd in Sonora, California, Avalon Care Center - Sonora is a 210 unit senior care community. The surrounding area is densely populated, with around 28,000 residents in the 95370 zip code. With a median ...
Meadow View Manor is a senior care community located at 19227 South Ct in Sonora, California. With around 28,000 individuals residing in the 95370 zip code, the encompassing area is heavily populated. It is a largely middle income ...
Located at 12877 Sylva Ln, Skyline Place is a senior housing community serving Sonora, California. The surrounding area has a dense population, with around 28,000 people residing in the zip code of 95370. It is a predominantly middle ...
Country Lane Estate is a senior community located at 22008 Sawmill Flat Rd in Sonora, California. The surrounding area is densely populated, with about 28,000 poeple living in the zip code of 95370. With a median per-family ...
Casa Viejos Assisted Living is a senior care facility located at 18760 Chabroullian Ln in Jamestown, California. The facility is in a largely lower income area, with an average per-household income of $30,604. It has a medium-density population, ...
1 miles away from Sonora, CA
Oak Terrace Memory Care is a senior housing community situated in the Mono Vista neighborhood of Soulsbyville, California. The community is in a generally middle income area, with a median per-family income of $47,585. With roughly 3,000 individuals ...
7 miles away from Sonora, CA
Located at 1400 Foothill Village Dr, Foothill Village Senior Living Community is a senior care facility in Angels Camp, California. With an average household income of $45,435, the facility is in a generally middle income area. It is ...
9 miles away from Sonora, CA
Located at 556 Toyon Dr, Country Haven Assisted Living is a senior community in San Andreas, California. With approximately 5,000 residents in the zip code of 95249, the encompassing area has a sparse population. It is a primarily ...
21 miles away from Sonora, CA
Oak Valley Care Center is a senior care facility located close to the East Oakdale neighborhood of Oakdale, California. The facility is in a generally middle class area, with a median per-household income of $55,161. It is heavily ...
24 miles away from Sonora, CA
Serenity Hill Residential Care Home is a 6 unit residential care home. It is situated close to the East Oakdale area of Oakdale, California. The neighboring area is heavily populated, with approximately 33,000 poeple living in the zip ...
29 miles away from Sonora, CA
Located at 431 W J St in Oakdale, California, Dn Christinne Victorhia's Board & Care is a 15 unit senior housing facility. With an average household income of $55,161, the community is in a generally middle class area. ...
29 miles away from Sonora, CA
Clark Care Home is located at 338 Maple Dr in Oakdale, California. It is a 4 room care home. The neighboring area is heavily populated, with about 33,000 individuals living in the 95361 zip code. With an ...
29 miles away from Sonora, CA
Free Assisted Living Resources in Sonora, California
Area 12 Agency on Aging
Area 12 Agency on Aging is a multi-resource organization that delivers many services to seniors in Tuolumne County, helping them age with dignity at the lowest cost possible. It connects seniors with local resources, which means that most of its services are free, although occasionally it may refer seniors to organizations that may charge for their services. An example of how the agency can help is its nutrition programs, which focus on educating seniors about healthy eating and providing access to other resources that can deliver wholesome foods.
19074 Standard Road, Sonora, CA 95370
Tuolumne County Senior Center
Tuolumne County Senior Center provides a welcome to adults aged 60+, providing them with a place to meet and share quality time with their peers. There are classes for those who enjoy arts and crafts and exercise routines for seniors who want to improve their fitness levels. Zumba classes are particularly busy. Additionally, the center operates a congregate meal program where seniors can enjoy lunches on weekdays. The program also serves home-delivered meals to the county's homebound seniors.
540 Greenley Road, Sonora, CA 95370
Open on weekdays between 8 a.m. and 4.30 p.m., Sonora Clinic provides medical services for the city's U.S. military veterans, their spouses and families. Services include primary care, PTSD programs for vets with combat experience, mental health care and support for patients dealing with substance abuse and other addictions. There's also a telehealth service for vets unable to attend the clinic. Those with care needs not catered for at the clinic will be referred to other clinics within the VA Palo Alto Health Care System.
13663 Monoway, Sonora, CA 95370
Health Insurance Counseling & Advocacy Program (HICAP)
HICAP is a program funded by the state and federal governments that provides adults aged 64 and older with free counseling on all matters concerning Medicare. The program's counselors are unbiased, which means that their advice, information and support isn't aimed at selling seniors health insurance, instead ensuring they're fully informed about the pros and cons of each plan. The counselors can also help seniors enroll in Medicare and support those denied the insurance to challenge the decision.
19074 Standard Road, Sonora, CA 95370
Tuolumne County Transit Dial-A-Ride
Tuolumne County residents aged 60 and over and the disabled can call Dial-A-Ride for journeys within the county for any purpose. The service uses wheelchair-accessible buses and operates door-to-door, operating on weekdays from 6.25 a.m. to 7.25 p.m. and from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays. Although many journeys are for the individual, occasionally the senior may share with another going to a nearby destination. Sometimes it's possible for same-day service, but in most cases, 24-hour notice is required.
20159 Monoway, Sonora, CA 95370
Frequently Asked Questions
What does assisted living cost in the state of California?
The cost of assisted living in California runs from about $987 to $9,000 per month, with a median of roughly $3,750. By comparison, the US average is about $3,500 per month.
What services are offered with assisted living?
Assisted living is provided in either a private or shared room, depending on the individual's budget. Services usually include housekeeping services, assistance with medication, social activities, transportation services, and exercise activities.
Can I pay for assisted living in Sonora with Medicaid?
The only faciility in Sonora that takes Medicaid is Avalon Care Center - Sonora.
Are there a lot of seniors in Sonora?
While the encompassing statistical area contains 38,572 people, there are 26,803 living in the city itself. Approximately 39% of the population are 55 and over.