Assisted Living in Waterville, Maine
Waterville is located on the banks of the Kennebec River and is surrounded by beautiful scenery, historic sites and cultural amenities. It has nearly 16,000 residents and a large senior community that accounts for about a fifth of the population. Seniors in this city have access to a wide array of resources and services, including a senior center, options counselors and information specialists. While health care costs are a little higher here than in the typical U.S. city, there are about 275 doctors per 100,000 people, which is considerably more than the national average and may result in reduced wait times to see specialists and primary care providers.
Seniors in Waterville have 20 assisted living facilities to choose from, including five within the city and the rest within a 25-mile radius. Local care costs are considerably higher than state and national medians at $6,150 per month. However, the city’s overall cost of living is very low, which may offset higher care costs and make it a financially feasible option for older adults with budgetary considerations.
The SeniorScore for Waterville, ME
The SeniorScore is a 100-point livability index that rates a region’s livability for older adults. It's based on over 100 factors gathered from public and private databases that affect seniors’ comfort and quality of life, including access to health care, the cost of living and recreational amenities. The national SeniorScore is 72, and Maine’s score is several points lower at 68. Waterville’s SeniorScore is 64, indicating a narrower range of benefits for seniors than in the typical U.S. city. The city has moderate category scores across all four SeniorScore metrics, including 63 in Recreation & Leisure, 58 in Health & Safety and General Quality of Life and 49 in Finances.
Nearly a third of Waterville’s population is aged 55 and over, supporting access to social programs and community-based services. Older adults have access to a variety of recreational amenities, including 18 golf courses, four parks and six malls and shopping centers, and 55 churches provide social support and access to volunteer-based services. The city’s senior care costs, including assisted living, tend to be pricey compared to the nation as a whole, which may be a consideration for those with budget restrictions.
Two hospitals serve Waterville residents, including Northern Light Inland Hospital and Mainegeneral Health, and there’s a high number of Medicare-registered health care providers. Senior care options are relatively limited, with only 10 senior living facilities and a low number of in-home care providers, which may drive up care costs. As is typical of Maine, Waterville’s weather tends to be harsh with very cold winters, but summers are pleasant. The city has a sparse population of about 300 people per square mile, but short daily commute times indicate that service providers, restaurants and stores are located nearby.
SeniorScore™ for Waterville, Maine
The SeniorScore™ is calculated based on over 100 variables, some of which are shown below. The final score is curved based on a linear curving method. For More info visit senioradvice.com/seniorscore.
- Waterville scores lower than the Maine average of 68.
- Waterville scores significantly lower than the national average of 72.
- There is a high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 2 hospitals within close range of the city (Inland Hospital and Mainegeneral Medical Ctr).
- There are 10 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Goudreau's Retirement Inn, Quarry Rd Residential Center, and Mount St. Joseph Residence and Rehabilitation.
- There is a low number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is an average number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 79.2, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 60 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a high property crime rate.
- The area has an average violent crime rate.
- The city has an average percentage of seniors in the population (30% of residents).
- There are 18 golf courses in or around the city, including Pine Ridge Municipal Golf Center, Waterville Country Club, and Arrowhead/Indian Course at Natanis Golf Course.
- There are 4 parks near the city center, including Fort Halifax Park, Camp Caribou, and Green Valley Campground.
- There are 55 churches in or near the city, including United Pentecostal Church, Church of Christ, and Getchell Street Baptist Church.
- There are 6 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 24 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 4 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 15 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 2.99% of total income, which is higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.12% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 5.50%, which is significantly lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- Maine has an average state income tax of 5.08%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $52,281, which is significantly lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $38,669, which is significantly lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $21,544, which is significantly lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $49,410 per year, which are very high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $104,573 per year, which are high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $28,730 per year, which are very high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $50,107 annually, which are high compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 11.19%, which is high compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very high compared to national averages.
- 0% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
- Waterville receives average levels of rainfall each year.
- Waterville has very harsh mean temperatures, with very cold winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has above average air quality.
- Waterville has a sparse population density of 333.1 people per square mile.
- Residents of Waterville have a very short daily commute time.
- Waterville has a high public school quality ranking.
- The city has a very high public school safety rating.
- This city has an average graduation rate of 87.95%.
Assisted Living Costs in Waterville, ME
The Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey shows that seniors in the United States pay approximately $4,300 per month for assisted living services. However, monthly rates may vary depending on local living costs, the number of care options and state regulations. In Maine, monthly fees tend to be higher, with the average facility charging $5,942 for care. The survey doesn’t list cost data for Waterville, so its monthly rate is based on the average in nearby Lewiston, where seniors pay $6,150 per month for care.
At $6,150 per month, assisted living in the Waterville region is relatively expensive. In Bangor, which is situated about 50 miles east, rates are closer to the national average at $4,842. In the Portland area, fees exceed Waterville’s median at $6,583. Across state lines, monthly assisted living fees vary considerably. In New Hampshire’s Manchester area, rates are over $1,000 higher than Waterville’s average at $7,560. In Boston, Massachusetts, care costs are consistent with Waterville’s average at $6,100. Seniors in Burlington, Vermont, pay $5,425 for care, and in Glens Falls, New York, rates are a little lower than the national median at $4,235.
- Waterville/Lewiston: $6,150
- Portland Area: $6,583
- Bangor: $4,842
- Manchester Area, NH: $7,560
- Burlington Area, VT: $5,425
- Boston Area, MA: $6,100
- Glens Falls, NY: $4,235
Top Assisted Living Facilities in Waterville, Maine
Oak Grove Center is a 90 bed senior care community located in Waterville, Maine. The community is in a predominantly middle income area, with a median per-family income of $41,373. With approximately 27,000 people residing in the 04901 ...
Lakewood Continuing Care Center is located at 220 Kennedy Memorial Dr in Waterville, Maine. It is a 105 bed senior care facility. The surrounding area has a dense population, with approximately 27,000 people residing in the 04901 zip ...
Mount St. Joseph Residence and Rehabilitation is located at 7 Highwood St in Waterville, Maine. It is a 111 room skilled nursing facility. The facility is in a predominantly middle class area, with an average household income of ...
Located at 147 W River Rd, Park Residences is a senior housing facility in Waterville, Maine. The encompassing area has a dense population, with roughly 27,000 residents in the 04901 zip code. It is a generally middle class ...
Quarry Road Residential Center is a 14 room senior housing facility. It is located at 10 Quarry Rd in Waterville, Maine. Located nearby are numerous local conveniences, including retail stores, churches, and medical facilities. They ...
Located at 888 Pond Road, Snow Pond Residential Care Center is a senior care community serving Oakland, Maine. With an average household income of $47,082, the community is in a primarily middle income area. It has a medium-density ...
6 miles away from Waterville, ME
Gables Manor is a senior community located at 2545 Riverside Dr in Vassalboro, Maine. With roughly 5,000 residents in the zip code of 04989, the encompassing area is sparsely populated. It is a largely middle income area, with ...
6 miles away from Waterville, ME
Volmer Country Living Center is a senior housing community located at 513 Main St in Vassalboro, Maine. With roughly 5,000 poeple living in the 04989 zip code, the surrounding area is sparsely populated. It is a largely middle ...
6 miles away from Waterville, ME
Located at 198 Shepherd Rd in Augusta, Maine, Witham's Residential Care is a 6 bed senior care community. With an average per-household income of $32,081, the community is in a largely low income area. It is heavily populated, ...
12 miles away from Waterville, ME
Redington Memorial Home is a senior care facility located at 11 North Ave in Skowhegan, Maine. The neighboring area has an average population density, with approximately 11,000 individuals living in the zip code of 04976. It is a ...
16 miles away from Waterville, ME
Augusta Center for Health and Rehabilitation is a 72 unit nursing care facility. It is located at 188 Eastern Ave in Augusta, Maine. The community is in a largely low income area, with an average household income of ...
18 miles away from Waterville, ME
Balsam House is a senior housing community located at 256 Gorden Rd in Readfield, Maine. With a median per-family income of $62,935, the community is in a largely middle class area. It is sparsely populated, with approximately 4,000 ...
18 miles away from Waterville, ME
MaineGeneral Rehab and Long Term Care - Glenridge is a 125 bed nursing home facility located in Augusta, Maine. The facility is in a predominantly working class area, with an average family income of $32,081. It is heavily ...
19 miles away from Waterville, ME
Located at 37 Gray Birch Dr in Augusta, Maine, Mainegeneral Rehab and Long Term Care - Gray Birch is a 77 unit nursing home facility. With approximately 27,000 residents in the zip code of 04330, the encompassing area is ...
19 miles away from Waterville, ME
Hillside Terrace is a senior housing community located at 21 Warren St in Hallowell, Maine. The neighboring area has a sparse population, with approximately 3,000 people residing in the 04347 zip code. It is a primarily middle income ...
21 miles away from Waterville, ME
Somerset Residential Care Center is a senior community located at PO Box 56 in Madison, Maine. With an average household income of $35,270, the facility is in a primarily middle class area. It has a sparse population, with ...
22 miles away from Waterville, ME
Located at 13 Plaisted St, Arbor Terrace is a senior housing community serving Gardiner, Maine. The facility is in a generally middle income area, with an average per-household income of $50,261. It has an average population density, with ...
24 miles away from Waterville, ME
Located at 154 Dresden Ave, Maine General Alzheimer's Care Center is a senior care community in Gardiner, Maine. The surrounding area has an average population density, with approximately 13,000 individuals residing in the 04345 zip code. It is ...
24 miles away from Waterville, ME
Located at 77 Waldoboro Rd, Jefferson Green is a senior community in Jefferson, Maine. With around 4,000 individuals residing in the zip code of 04348, the neighboring area is sparsely populated. It is close to plenty of local ...
25 miles away from Waterville, ME
Tissues Country Estate is located at 212 Fox Hill Rd in Athens, Maine. It is a 20 room senior care facility. The community is in a generally lower income area, with an average household income of $33,848. ...
26 miles away from Waterville, ME
Free Assisted Living Resources in Waterville, ME
Spectrum Generations is the Area Agency on Aging for Waterville and the surrounding region. It provides a broad array of free and low-cost services to help older adults make informed decisions regarding their long-term care plans and supplement the services they receive in assisted living. Through this agency, seniors access resources, such as the Money Minders Program, transportation services and the Respecting Choices Program, which helps them create advance directives. The agency also has health and wellness workshops, community-based health care services and legal experts who provide one-on-one help with issues related to assisted living.
38 Gold Street, Waterville, ME 04901
Bureau of Veterans Services
The Bureau of Veterans Services provides advocacy, information and support to older veterans in Waterville. Through this local office, veterans can get help with accessing VA benefits that may help them pay for medical care and assisted living expenses, including VA health insurance, medical care, pension programs, disability compensation and Aid and Attendance. The office can also screen veterans for veterans’ home placement and help them access community-based services, such as social and recreational programs, transportation services, financial assistance and health and wellness services.
117 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333
Maine Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program
The statewide long-term care ombudsman program is staffed with trained volunteers who visit local assisted living facilities to ensure they comply with state-mandated guidelines for scope and quality of care, help residents understand their rights and provide access to information for residents. Families and seniors can contact their local ombudsman for help with comparing assisted living facilities in Waterville, identifying public benefits and programs that can help them pay for care and resolving issues related to long-term care, such as billing errors or substandard care. The ombudsman can also field and investigate reports of abuse or neglect.
61 Winthrop Street, Augusta, ME 04330
Maine Legal Services for the Elderly
Maine Legal Services for the Elderly has licensed legal professionals who help seniors understand assisted living contracts and address problems that arise in residential care facilities, including issues with admission and discharge procedures and care planning. It can help Waterville residents obtain public benefits, such as Medicaid and Supplemental Security Income, which may help them pay for senior care services. The organization also has a Medicare Part D Appeals Unit to help older adults address problems with their prescription drug coverage.
5 Wabon Street, Augusta, ME 04330
SHIP & Medicare Assistance
Seniors in Waterville can call the statewide SHIP helpline for one-on-one assistance with understanding their Medicare benefits, comparing Medicare Advantage and Medigap plans and reviewing medical bills. SHIP counselors can also help seniors determine whether they qualify for the statewide Medicaid program and address Medicare fraud and waste.
109 Capitol Street, Augusta ME 04333
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cost of assisted living in the state of Maine?
With a range between about $107 and $268 per day, the mean price of assisted living in Maine is around $4,950 monthly.
What is included with assisted living?
Services typically included with assisted living are help with dressing, spiritual activities, 24-monitoring, housekeeping services, and toileting assistance. Private and semi-private rooms are usually available depending on the individual's budget.
Does Medicaid cover assisted living in Waterville?
There are several assisted living communities in Waterville accepting Medicaid, including Augusta Center for Health and Rehabilitation, Lakewood Continuing Care Center, Mainegeneral Rehab and Long Term Care - Gray Birch, Oak Grove Center, and Mount St. Joseph Residence and Rehabilitation.
What is the senior population of Waterville?
Though the city contains 26,248 residents, the encompassing statistical area has a population of 89,364. 30% of the residents are over the age of 55.