SeniorAdvice.com Fall 2017 Senior Volunteer Scholarship
The SeniorAdvice.com Volunteer Scholarship winner for Spring 2018 has been chosen. Peiyao Wang, who is attending McMaster University and studying Science, will receive a $1,000 for her volunteer experience.
Peiyao has been volunteering at her local retirement home for the last five years. She has done a variety of things such as helping with Bingo, putting on the Sunday movie and sometimes playing piano in the lobby. She learned very early on there that the residents want to be spoken to just like anyone else and that they’re extremely perceptive to anyone accommodating for them, such as slowing down their speech or constantly repeating themselves. Therefore, she learned to be a better communicator with the residents and in general.
After taking some advice from one of the residents at the retirement home, Peiyao is majoring in Science while still putting emphasis on her passion for music. She wants to pursue a career in health specifically in music therapy for memory loss illnesses. This scholarship will help lighten the educational financial burden for Peiyao and her family.
See Peiyao’s full scholarship submission video below.
- Lori Thomas has decades of experience as a caregiver. Her writing for SeniorAdvice.com is informed by years of research as well as hands-on family experience caring for her now late mother, who had chronic health issues for most of her life. Lori is an integral part of the SeniorAdvice.com management team, acting as Vice President of Marketing and Chief Editor.
- 2020.02.20General Senior LivingYour Guide to Long-Distance Grandparenting
- 2020.02.20General Senior LivingHome Design Tips for People Struggling With Sight
- 2020.02.20General Senior LivingSpring Cleaning Tips for Seniors
- 2020.02.20General Senior Living16 Great Exercises Seniors Can Do Outside This Spring